About Medical Enquiries

The role of medial standards and guidelines is to encourage road safety measures in public places. In addition, these guidelines promote safe driving by creating reviews for drivers who have existing medical conditions; these reviews show whether theyíll be able to fulfil the medical requirements which are essential for safe driving.

Valuable medial information for drivers


The following are interesting facts about the effect excessive tiredness or sleepiness have on drivers:

Around one-fifth of all road accidents are caused falling asleep at the wheel. Other factors that can cause road accidents are traffic offences, weather conditions, vehicle faults and poor road conditions. However investigations into road accidents have concluded that amongst the various contributing factors for road accidents, tiredness of a driver is the most common cause.

What you need to do if you have a condition causing tiredness

If you have a medical condition which can cause tiredness or sleepiness and you currently hold a driving license, you may need to inform the DVLA about it. To do this, simply forward your medical condition notification to your nearest office. The DVLA will only accept a hard copy of the notification which has you have signed, please note that your full name and address should be included.

Once the notification is received by the DVLA, a questionnaire will be generated which will ask further and more detailed questions about your medical condition. Please note that this questionnaire can be sent directly to your doctor if you have given consent, ensuring the correct medical information is given.

When and how should you report a medical condition or disability to the DVLA?

If you have had or currently suffer from a disability or a medical condition that could affect your driving, you must report it to the DVLA immediately. To do so youíll need to send details of your medical condition, either if itís new ora condition that has worsened, as soon as possible. You will be punished and can be fined up to £1000 if you fail to notify the DVLA about your disability or medical condition on time.

What to do if you have a health condition and you are applying for your first driving licence

All driving licence application forms include a series of medical questions, so if youíre applying for your first license, you must mention that you suffer from a disability or "notifiable" medical condition. If required, you can also download and complete the medial questionnaire form and enclose it with your new driving license application.

What to do if you have a medical condition and currently hold a licence

If you suffer from disability or notifiable medical condition and currently hold a driving licence, you must notify the DVLA right away. Do not wait until your driving licence is due for renewal or it is has expired. Download the appropriate medical questionnaire form, fill in the details and forward it to the specific address provided either by post, email, or fax. You can visit the DVLA website to find information about contact address, telephone numbers and what medical conditions or treatments you need to advise the DVLA about.

Surrending your licence

If your medial practitioner has advised you not to drive, in accordance with the medical standards you must surrender your licence to the DVLA. To know more about medical standards and health conditions please visit the official DVLA website.

Note: After surrendering your licence, you can return to driving by reapplying for a driving license restoration at a later date.

There is no legal age which stops you from driving. You can determine if and when to stop depending on both your medical and general health condition.

What happens after notifying the DVLA?

A decision is made within 3 weeks. However, if the DVLA require more information concerning your medical condition, it may extend the decision period by up to 90 business days. The DVLA follow the procedure below to evaluate and make a decision:

  • Contacting your medical consultant or doctor
  • Their own team of experts may examine your case
  • They may require you to take a driving or an eyesight test

What decisions can DVLA make?

After the DVLA has evaluated your disability or medical condition, your options could be one of the following:

  • You may be asked to get yourself a new driving licence or keep the old one
  • Youíll be given with a short duration licence, say for one, two or three years, once this shorter period expires, the DVLA will review your condition
  • You may be asked to adapt your vehicle with special controls
  • Your driving licence may be taken away

Adapting your vehicle

If you have been informed by DVLA to adapt your vehicle, you can complete an independent search using the "Forum of Mobility Centres", this forum helps to allocate a centre and find the relevant contact details. At these centres you can discuss what equipment is required in order to ensure you drive safely.

What happens if your licence is ceased by the DVLA?

Unfortunately, the DVLA must revoke your licence if your health condition is deteriorating, as you would be unsafe on the road.

If your licence is taken away by the DVLA, it is possible to appeal the decision if you feel that their decision was wrong. This does take some time but if you win the case your licence will be fully reinstated.

Remember! You also have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court regarding the decision to revoke your license made by the DVLA. Please ensure that you notify the DVLA if you decide on this course of action.

How should you re-apply for a driving licence?

If your driving licence has been surrendered for health reasons, reapplying to the DVLA is necessary before you can drive again. Meet with your physician to ensure that you meet the medical requirements, if they confirm that you do, enclose all evidence of your current health status with the reapplication form.

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge is a parking scheme that helps people with severe mobility problems and it allows them to park their vehicles closer to their destination. This scheme is available throughout the U.K.

Information about the scheme

This scheme is applied to on-street parking giving disabled drivers the permission to park in specially located bays at no cost, also standard parking time limits are removed for Blue Badge holders.

How to get a Blue Badge

You can qualify for a Blue Badge if:

  • You receive a higher rate in the mobility component of the DLA (Disability Living Allowance)
  • Youíre registered as blind
  • Youíre receiving a war pensionerís mobility supplement
  • You have a permanent and substantial disability

Blue Badge application

You can apply for a Blue Badge online by downloading the application form or by visiting your local DVLA office. Fill in the application form and send it to the specified address by either post, email or fax.

Online process

To check your eligibility youíll need to answer certain questions concerning your disability. If you think you qualify for a Blue Badge, please fill in an online application form. Once completed, the form will be sent automatically to the DVLA who will make a decision. Please note that a decision is normally issued within 15 business days from the date of receipt.

Note: If someone is convicted of misusing the Blue Badge,a fixed penalty of £1000 is issued, sometimes with the addition of another fine for parking illegally.

Motability scheme

Motability is an independent national charity scheme; it enables disabled people to lease a new scooter, car or a powered wheelchair for an affordable amount. To understand the scheme in detail and to see its guidelines for using a motability vehicle, please contact Motability directly.

Tax disc exemptions

If you are disabled you may eligible for free tax disc.

Applying for a disabled tax disc

If you buy a new car or vehicle, you can apply for a tax disc exemption and insurance certificate/award. The registered keeper can apply for free disabled tax disc, if:

  • They are disabled or has a permanent illness
  • A third person uses the vehicle solely for transporting the disabled

Applying for your free tax disc for the first time

Applying for a free tax disc is not as same as renewing a standard tax disc. If you have purchased a new vehicle, you must forward the vehicle registration certificate, your certificate of entitlement and any other additional documents to the DVLA in order to claim a free disabled tax disc.

If you want to apply and use the free tax disc for a old vehicle, the tax class of the vehicle must be replaced at a local post office. The following documents are required:

  • V5C Ė a full vehicle registration certificate
  • Original GVT or MOT certificate
  • Insurance and entitlement certificate
  • V5C/2 (for a new keeper supplement)

Renewing the free tax disc

After the tax class of your vehicle is changed and shows as disabled, you can renew your free tax disc in any of the following ways:

  • At a post office branch
  • By telephone
  • Online - to find more about the free tax disc, please visit www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc

The use of a vehicle while it is in the disabled tax class

The vehicle should be used either by a disabled person or someone who helps them in reaching their desired destination.

Remember! If the registered keeper violates the usage of the vehicle by not using it as mentioned above, the registered keeper may be penalised.

Claiming refund on your current tax disc

Please fill in an application form which can be found at your local post office branch or online to claim a refund on your vehicle tax disc. For more information please speak with advisors at selected post office branches or at your local DVLA office.

What must be considered when applying for a tax disc refund:

  • First, check whether youíre entitled to get a tax disc refund, for more details on refund eligibility please download the leaflet and read the information
  • Once you think you qualify for a refund, fill in the form ensuring your details are exactly the same as shown on your V5C registration certificate
  • Form V33 can be used by people who do not have a tax disc, to get a form please contact your local DVLA office
  • After the successful submission of the form, expect to receive a refund within 6 weeks

Toll concessions

Blue Badge holders or disabled people who receive a higher rate of the mobility component of the DLA, and that are also exempt from paying vehicle excise duty may be able to receive toll concessions at tunnels and road bridges. To get concessions you have to apply for them in advance.

Remember! Toll concessions can change any time, so check the current tolls before you travel.

Drooped kerb

A drooped kerb is a lowered section located across a footpath which is made to help the disabled access their property.

Installation of a drooped kerb

To apply for a drooped kerb, youíll need to send a permission request to your local Roads Service office, as they are responsible for maintaining the footpath. Once your proposal is sent, the respected authority will consider the viability of the proposal. For more details on drooped kerbs please visit the Roads Service office website.

Note: Drooped kerb facility is available in England only.

Renewing your driving licence at the age 70 or above

With online application now available, renewing your driving licence has become much easier. Applications can be made using your Government Gateway ID, however if you donít have a Gateway ID youíll need to register for one.

Things you require for renewing your licence when in your 70ís:

  • A valid UK passport
  • Proof of identification

If you are aged 70 or above, you can renew your licence if you meet the following conditions:

  • Youíre a resident of Great Britain
  • You have not been banned from driving for any reason
  • Your driving licence will expire within 90 days or has already expired
  • You meet the current eye sight requirements

Valuable information for medical practitioners

Any changes or additions to the existing medical standards need to be known by medical professionals early. The features of the medical standards guide are as follows:

  • A list of all the health conditions that may affect driving are found on the GOV.UK website
  • An "at a glance" guide is available and is designed for medical enquiry searches, it also displays AAG results
  • A simple PDF version of this guide is also available and can be used for future reference

We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation but act simply as a cost effective call connection service. We can forward your call to the DVLA.